About Stichting Abraham Path Initiative
The Abraham Path is a cultural route that retraces the journey of Abraham, the legendary ancestor of over half of humanity, who is known for his hospitality and kindness toward strangers. The route follows a range of independent walking trails, unique to each geography that the route crosses. These trails are largely the fruit of local initiatives, developed and maintained by a wide range of local organizations and enthusiasts.
As a European NGO based in the Netherlands, Stichting Abraham Path Initiative (API) is an independent NGO committed to cultivating Abraham Path along with partner organizations. The initiative is a non-profit, non-religious and non-political organization, and works in partnership with the US based 501(c)3 NGO Abraham Path Initiative.
Mission and Vision
De stichting heeft ten doel bij te dragen aan de ontwikkeling en instandhouding van het Abraham Path, een culturele (wandel)route door het Midden-Oosten en steun te verlenen aan lokale partners, een en ander als uiteengezet op de internet site www.abrahampath.org, en voorts al hetgeen met een en ander rechtstreeks of zijdelings verband houdt of daartoe bevorderlijk kan zijn, alles in de ruimste zin van het woord.
The goal of the foundation is to contribute to the development and maintenance of the Abraham Path and support local partners as explained on www.abrahampath.org. The foundation will also support activities connected to this goal, in the broadest definition possible.
Why: The purpose of the Abraham Path is to inspire understanding, prosperity, and hope for humanity.
How: By inviting us to participate in a grand adventure: to walk together in the cradle of civilization, to meet people from very different cultures and traditions, to learn something new about ourselves, others, and the world, and to serve the larger community.
- We value the human, cultural and natural beauty of the Middle East as a story largely untold and worth sharing.
- We value the humble act of walking from community to community, which inspires new encounters, new stories and new generosity by travelers and hosts.
- We value adventure, exploration and journeying into the unknown in the spirit of Abraham as a vehicle for personal reflection and growth.
- We value appreciation for the natural world, which inspires local and global communities to care for the environment for future generations.
- We value the power of stories, walking and hospitality, which can connect the Middle East and travelers from around the world to form transformational friendships.
- We value the path as a non-profit, non-religious and non-political project that affirms the human rights and dignity of all peoples.
- We value both the similarities and differences in the stories of Abraham as recounted by each faith and local lore, and recognize the various narratives in scriptural and non-scriptural traditions.
- We value the principle that the path is not used for exclusive assertions about Abraham, or to advance any political or territorial agenda.
Stichting Abraham Path Initiative supports partners in developing the Abraham Path by:
- Promoting walking/traveling the path to the benefit of local communities, hosts, guides and partners.
- Providing grants to local partners who work on a specific regional segment or on cultural or educational activities on the path
- Connecting local partners to third-party grants and funding opportunities
- Providing technical assistance and training to local partners
- Promoting practical traveller resources
- Coordinating an international network of partners, and Friends Groups around the world to create a network of Abraham Path support